Sunday 9 February 2014

The Best You

I remember being back in Junior high school when a new girl arrived and took the school by storm.  You know, she was one of those instantly popular girls that everyone gathered around.  I still don’t quite know how that works as I have yet to manifest something like that for myself.  But I am no longer interested in junior high popularity contests anyway.

But one thing about this girl, Robin, was that she had this really cool hairstyle.  It was different and unique and very soon the girls in my junior high were all trying to copy it– that is everyone except me.  You see her hair was very straight and sleek and smooth and my hair was a mess of curls all over my head.  This was long before the days of straight irons and the chance of my hair doing what hers did were slim and none.  But still I longed for that straight, smooth and popular hairstyle.  Thankfully, my mother was wise enough to see that it would not work.  At the time I was exiled to the mop of curly hair on my head, as there was no foreseeable way to make it straight, sleek and smooth. If I had attempted Robin’s hairstyle I would have looked like a goofy mess.

I’m reminded of a story that Oprah tells about how when she was just starting out Barbara Walters was quite famous and Barbara was the one to emulate.  So Oprah was trying to be just like Barbara and she even started using some of the same phrases and mannerisms as Barbara.  But she soon figured out that she made a terrible Barbara Walters and that if she really wanted to become a success she would have to be Oprah.  She had no other choice.  So she determined that she would be herself and become just the best Oprah she could be and we all know how that turned out. http://klcrs.com

We all have our talents and abilities.  Sometimes we may wish for someone else’s talents just as I wished those many years back for Robin’s hair. But to really reach our true potential and become the best we can be we have to just be us.   We have to honor our own talents and hone our own abilities.  Trying to be someone else just makes us look like a goofy mess.

When we reach down inside and find our true selves and let it out that is when the Universe responds and people respond and our lives start giving us what we truly want.  That is when our dreams start coming true.

It worked out well for Oprah.  It will work out well for you too.  Only you can be the best YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment